skip navigation

Match Report: Late goal forces Foxes to settle for draw

By Angel Moreno, 04/18/18, 10:30PM PDT


The Foxes end with a point, draw 1-1 against Tulsa Roughnecks FC

FRESNO - The Foxes were forced to settle for a point on virtually the last kick of the match, as Jon Bakero scored the equalizer to see Tulsa Roughnecks FC draw 2-2 against host Fresno FC. 

It was a bittersweet result for the Foxes, who saw their unbeaten streak extend to five games, but leave two points on the table in front of the home crowd at Chukchansi Park.

The Foxes took the early lead at the 27th minute on marvelous strike by Pedro Ribeiro from 35 yards out. Midfielder Noah Verhoeven dribbled down the left wing, reversed and laid it off to Ribeiro who fired the rocket with his left foot for his first goal of the season. 

The Roughnecks would make it level after halftime on Paris Gee's header on a cross from substitute Jon Bakero at the 55th minute.

Photo by Kiel Maddox / Fresno FC

Fresno's second-half substitute Rony Argueta delivered again off the bench, putting the Foxes ahead at the 77th minute, cleaning up the loose-ball rebound off a powerful shot from Christian Chaney.

Tensions quickly rose thereafter, as Argueta was called for a hard foul on Fernando Arce, leading to a skirmish at midfield between the two sides. Fresno's Ramon Martin Del Campo and Tulsa's Claudio Munoz each drew red cards, with Argueta being cautioned in a match that saw a total of 31 fouls including five bookings.

With both sides down to 10 men, both teams drew closer to goal, with Chaney coming up with a near miss at at the 88th minute. 

The Roughnecks found their saving grace on on a back-heel pass from Adrian Jusino to find Bakero in stride who slotted the game-tying goal past Kyle Reynish in the fifth minute of stoppage time.

Rodolfo Freitas Da Silva made his USL debut, coming on as a substitute for Fresno FC at the 71st minute. The former Palmeiras forward nearly had a goal, dribbling to the top of the 18, and crossing over before missing his shot over the crossbar.

The Foxes remain unbeaten and return to action Sunday, April 22 against San Antonio FC at Chukchansi Park. Kickoff is 6 p.m.


Argueta scored his second goal of the season to give Fresno FC a 2-1 lead at the 77th minute.